Hallandale officially became a town on May 14, 1927. By that time, there were 1,500 residents, street lights, and electricity in the community. In 1947, Hallandale was reincorporated as a city, and was allowed to annex land to the east. In August of 1999, the city officially changed its name to Hallandale Beach.
The area that is now known as Hallandale Beach was not even settled until the late 1800's, when Henry Morrison Flagler expanded the Florida East Coast Railway to Palm Beach in 1895. Before then, there wasn't much to Hallandale Beach except swamp and a gray, sandy soil called marl. The Seminole Indians would hunt in the area and gather cootie root, which was used to produce starchy dough.
Flagler recruited Luther Halland, son of a Swedish minister and brother-in-law to one of Flagler's agents, to start a Swedish settlement south of the Danish settlement of Dania. With the assistance of an immigrant named Olaf Zetterlund, Halland began promoting the frost-free subtropical climate and cheap land of Halland (later to be named Hallandale). Halland set up a small trading post in the new community and became its first postmaster.
MIAMI Association of REALTORS® is not responsible for the accuracy of the information listed above. The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange Program and the South East Florida Regional MLS and is provided here for consumers' personal, non-commercial use. It may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than the office owning this website are marked with the IDX logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Data provided is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Copyright MIAMI Association of REALTORS®, MLS All rights reserved.
Updated: 22nd September, 2019 1:54 PM.